Sunday, November 10, 2013

Out of Eden . Footstep . Neighborhood Walks . My Journey

We have been asked, as members of an Out of Eden Walking Party, to take neighborhood walks and photograph elements of our neighborhood that capture the spirit of our neighborhood. Our focus should be places that are special to us or perhaps even aspects that we have overlooked but that become particularly interesting upon closer inspection. This reminded me of one of the rules from Keri Smith's, How to be an Explorer of the World, which our school has been incorporating into our studies.

Rule #3 - EVERYTHING IS INTERESTING. LOOK CLOSER.

The students are in the process of completing their own walks which will be posted to the blog soon. Below are photos and thoughts from the walk I took on Saturday.

My walk began right outside of my house where fallen leaves had collected outside of our complex. Autumn is always a colorful time in our city.

This is the sky outside of my house as I left. The puffs of cloud against the backdrop of the deep blue sky made for a beautiful pattern.

Public art (sanctioned and otherwise) can be found throughout the city. This piece is composed of colorful stencils of more well known Western works including Munch's "The Scream" and Boticelli's "The Birth of Venus" among others. "It's All Been Done Before" has been painted below. 

These two shots are from the local farmers market which my family and I walk to weekly. We usually pick up food from our farm share or buy whatever looks particularly good to us that day.


After the farmers market, my family and I walked to "The Arb"  for some afternoon exploring. Although it is within walking distance to my house, I haven't spent a great deal of time there. I think I felt inspired by this "Footstep" to spend time in a place unique to our town and also look for what I had missed. Many of the leaves had fallen which made for a beautiful visual experience. There is also something special about the feel and sound of moving your feet through fallen leaves, as demonstrated by my two sons. We did make an interesting discovery during our wanderings - A Fairy Wood and Troll Hollow where those inclined can build dwellings for these magical inhabitants of the forest.












































No comments:

Post a Comment